Skip to main content

Learning about culture



As a crown on our first full day in Alice, we were lucky to have Deanella Mack, who runs the business Cultural Connections, come over to have a cross-cultural fireside chat with us.  She is an Arrernte woman, born and raised in Alice Springs, and an Auntie to my colleague Lea!
Dee and I say "hi!" to Lea
Dee shared stories about the history and culture of her people. Time was limited which was unfortunate, because she is a great storyteller. It was great to have her bridge traditional customs and thinking to western thinking, and challenge our own understanding of our traditions and cultures. I am sure that the time we got to spend with her will help us connect better with the people we will meet and work with.
  
Something that really resonated with me, was learning more about Indigenous people’s families. I already knew they are so much more structured and organised than European ones. But hearing more about the very specific purposes that these structures serve was very interesting. They detail relationships as well as responsibilities and tasks vis a vis other people in your community. It is obvious that the disruption of these strong social networks has been destructive to the stability and prosperity of communities.

Another thing that Dee touched on briefly, that I’d like to know more about, is the way Anangu perceive time. The concept of not having distinct concepts around past, present and future is hard to comprehend for me, but intriguing nonetheless!

Part of the busy program for Tuesday was a visit to the Akeyulerre Healing Centre. The healers of the Arrernte traditional owners of the land where Alice Springs is situated, invited us to a Smoking Ceremony. They burn native plants to create smoke, to ward off bad spirits, and to heal and cleanse us for our time here in their country.
Arrernte women making bush medicine
   
    







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uluru, or last weekend's visit to the Ancient Development Lab for Innovative Landscapes

If you're spending six weeks around Alice Springs, you can't pass up on the opportunity to go see one of the most impressive sights Australia has to offer. Uluru presents majestic insights in ancient cultures, history and geology. Two other Jawun secondees and I drove to Uluru last weekend (~ 4.5 hrs by car) to take in the majestic rock and its surroundings, and hear some of the stories that the local people associate with it. It was a magical experience, enhanced by a most excellent tour guide for our walk around the bas e, and the great company of Mick and Jillian.                 Estimates for how long people have lived in Australia vary, with conservative numbers quoting at least 30,000 years, and some studies pointing towards a human presence well over 100,000 years. Hearing some these people's stories that are set around Uluru, about how the rock came to be, and how these stories fit in storylines that connect to neighbouring regions, helped m
Welcome to my blog site. This is where I will be posting regular updates of my Jawun Secondment. I have been given the opportunity to leave my role at the University of Melbourne for six weeks, to go to Alice Springs and work with the NPY Women's Council.  Until my first actual post is ready, please have a look at the Jawun website for some background information about the internship program, and the NPY lands!

Midway debrief, and test driving my work so far

We're now over half way of the five weeks that we have to deliver our projects. Yesterday, we had the midway debrief session, with all the Jawun secondees. In style, we got out of town and gathered round a campfire, where every secondee spoke briefly (and some a bit less briefly) about the way they were tackling their projects, how they felt they were progressing and what the major challenges had been for them. I feel very lucky that my project is a very close fit to what I don't get to do much in my normal role, but do enjoy doing very much. And with my work experience in research partnering, I can deliver some very relevant input on the Project Brief. A detailed narration of a project These clay pans would form a brilliant foundation for ice rinks. Just flood and wait for the frosts to come! My Project Brief is a well thought out document that asks me to deliver two things: Develop a process for evaluating research requests, in line with NPYWC strategic object